Travel to Foreign Countries

Before traveling to a foreign country, all faculty, staff and students should notify the Risk Management Department so that any risk issues may be discussed ahead of time and mitigated. Also, the University has a Risk Management database that all foreign travelers need to log into before they leave. The database is maintained by the Study Abroad Office.

ACE Insurance

When traveling to foreign countries, all faculty, staff and students are covered under the University's ACE International Travel Assistance Insurance. The ACE Insurance includes emergency medical coverage, medical evacuation, repatriation of remains and security evacuation services. It is purchased by the university on behalf of all students, faculty and staff while traveling overseas on LMU sponsored academic programs, research, or business. The international travel assistance insurance provides coverage in the event of a medical emergency, or security emergency such as civil strife, natural hazard, or terrorist attack.

Please download this PDF with the ACE information. Clip off the bottom section and take it with you. If you become injured or ill while in a foreign country, contact ACE. They can guide you to the best available medical facility; they can provide translation services; and they will pay the local health provider directly so that you do not have to use your credit card to pay the bills. There is no deductible or co-pay on the ACE policy.

You can also visit the Ace Travel Assistance website to view up-to-date information about security issues in the country you're visiting, as well as crime and health issues. The user name is ACEAH and the password is Security. You should then set up your own account so that you can access the ACE website at any time.

State Department Travel Warnings

LMU has a practice of not allowing programs for undergraduate students to countries, or areas of countries, for which the U.S. State Department has issued a travel warning. LMU will also not sponsor, organize, facilitate or encourage graduate students, faculty and staff to travel individually for research or business to countries for which a State Dept. travel warning currently exists. For a full list of travel warning countries please go to and click on "Travel Warning."

The State Department also promulgates a list of countries it considers "state sponsors of terrorism". Travel to such countries is restricted.

LMU also does not encourage programs for undergraduate students to travel to countries for which the U.S. State Department of Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) has imposed sanctions. Here is a list of of sanctioned countries.

Graduate students, faculty and staff who desire to travel to these countries should consult Risk Management, as the travel insurance program may not cover them. Please note that travel to Cuba is also severely restricted for U.S. citizens and requires advanced planning.

Any faculty, staff or student who wishes to travel to a country or area of a country with a State Department Travel warning or an OFAC restriction must seek authorization from Risk Management. Such authorization may be granted depending upon a Risk Management analysis of current conditions in the country and may carry specific restrictions.

Note: The university reserves the right to restrict university related or sponsored travel to any country, or area of a country, where political and/or social instability can increase the risks to the health and safety of LMU students, faculty, or staff. Such risks include, but are not limited to, war, civil or social unrest, protest, a man-made or natural disaster, or epidemic/pandemic. Such cancellation or restriction of a program or travel can occur even if the travel or program has begun at the time the risk presents itself. The University Risk Manager, in consultation with other university personnel from Academic Affairs or Student Affairs, or other departments, and/or with the University General Counsel and other experts, may make the determination to cancel or restrict travel.

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)

All faculty, staff and students should register with the US State Department Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP will help you to:

  1. Stay Informed. When you sign up, you will automatically receive the most current information the State Department (S.D.) compiles about the country where you will be traveling or living. You will also receive updates, including travel warnings and travel alerts where appropriate. You only need to sign up once, and then you can add and delete trips from your account based on your current travel plans.
  2. Stay Connected. By connecting with STEP, the State Department will be able to assist you better in the case of an emergency, such as if you lose your passport or it is stolen while you are abroad. They also assist U.S. citizens in other emergencies, such as in natural disasters. The travel and contact information you enter into STEP will make it easier for consular officers in U.S. embassies and consulates around the world to contact you and your loved ones during an emergency, including situations where your family or friends in the U.S. are having problems trying to contact you with important news.
  3. Stay Safe. The S.D. consular officers around the world compile country-specific information, travel alerts, travel warnings, fact sheets and emergency messages to provide you with timely and accurate travel information about every country where you may travel. They include reports on possible risks and security threats so that you can make informed decisions about your travel plans and activities.